My Goddaughter is now 5, and has started Kindergarten. We are able to read longer books now and she is even able to sound out some of the words herself. Looking back over the 5 Books for 4 Year Olds post I see some she still likes (The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?), and others that we have not read in a long time.
Here are some of her favorite books right now.
- Bad Kitty Gets A Bath & Bad Kitty Vs. Uncle Murray – We have read these books so many times I’ve lost count. The original Bad Kitty and Poor Puppy picture books are still favorites, but these comic/chapter books bring Kitty’s hijinks to a new level. These are laugh out loud funny to the five-year-old even if she nearly has them memorized.
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs – She came home from school one afternoon and announced that they had read a book at school that I had never heard of. When she told me it was Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, I had to take her upstairs and show her my copy. We’ve only read it about 100 times since that day. 🙂
- The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That – Along with the ever favorite The Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham we have been enjoying the newer Cat in the Hat Learning Library books. The ones we’ve collected so far are There’s No Place Like Space!, Oh Say Can You Say What’s the Weather Today?, and Oh Say Can You Seed? These books are bright and colorful and having the rhyming meter that Dr. Seuss was know for, and they contain lots of great facts for learning about their subjects. Next are on list is Oh, Say Can You Say Di-no-saur?
- Anna’s Best Friends and Disney Story Central – Frozen is huge here, as I suspect it is any where there is a little girl these days. Which is why she loves the Step into Reading Books about the characters from Frozen, and of course they are even better if they come with stickers inside! And then there are the e-books from Disney Story Central. She loves having the computer read the books to her and can spend a lot of time reading and re-reading the Disney books there.
- Any With Dinosaurs -Whether it’s the Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs, Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs, or The Good Dinosaur if it has dinosaurs she loves it! She’s always loved dinosaurs, but as she grows up she is able to pay attention more to factual books as well as fiction books staring her favorite per-historic creatures.