Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010.
August 30: Back To School Freebie — anything “back to school” related like 10 favorite books I read in school, books I think should be required reading, Required Reading For All Fantasy Fans, required reading for every college freshman, Books to Pair With Classics or Books To Complement A History Lesson, books that would be on my classroom shelf if I were a teacher.
This list kinda combines two of the above because this list is filled with both books I enjoyed as a child plus if I were a teachers they’d be on my shelves. They are not list in any particular order (because that would be waaay too hard), but if you would rather go for the purely educational I’d suggest starting with the Cat in the Hat Learning Library. You can find a book on nearly any subject with the fun of the Cat in the Hat. Also since I am a big fan of kids knowing where their food comes from I highly recommend the How Fruits and Vegetables Grow series. Use it in combination with dinner and talk about whether the food was a root (carrots) a leaf (lettuce) a stalk (asparagus) or a flower (cauliflower.)
Top Ten Series for Back To School…
- Cat in the Hat Learning Library – try Oh Say Can You Say What’s the Weather Today or There’s a Map on My Lap!
- Elephant and Piggie – start with There Is a Bird On Your Head! or Can I Play Too?
- Bad Kitty – start with Bad Kitty and Poor Puppy and Bad Kitty
- The Bernenstain Bears – start with Get the Gimmies or The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
- Ready-to-Read Weather – start with Clouds or Wind
- How Fruits and Vegetable Grow – try Carrots Grow Underground and Lettuce Grows on the Ground
- Little Critter – start with I Was So Mad or Being Thankful
- If You Give… – start with If You Give a Mouse a Cookie or If You Give a Pig a Pancake
- Curious George – try Curious George’s First Day of School or Curious George and the Puppies
- The Night Before – try The Night Before Kindergarten or The Night Before My Birthday
Did I miss a children’s series that you love? What would you recommend? Leave me a comment below.