Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010.
May 2, 2015: Cover Theme Freebie: literally anyyyything about covers….top ten covers that scream Spring, ten books with ice cream on the cover, ten books with blue covers, etc. etc.
Thinking about what covers I could cover for this weeks topic ;-), I started to think of Nancy Drew (especially since the 87th anniversary of the Secret of the Old Clock was on April 28th, Happy Birthday Nancy Drew!!!) and all the great cover art done for that series. Thanks to NancyDrew.info and their great list of ALL of the Nancy Drew editions I was able to take a stroll down memory lane and pick out my 10 favorite for this weeks list.
Top 10 Nancy Drew Covers
- The Secret of the Old Clock: 80th Anniversary Limited Edition – This one is cool and classic. The iconic girl detective in blue is just about perfect. Plus the fact that it’s the 80th Anniversary Limited Edition makes it even better.
- The Mystery At Lilac Inn – This one has always appeared mysterious to me. What could they be signally each other for? The colors also just draw your eyes right to the action.
- The Password To Larkspur Lane – This is one of my favorite Nancy Drew stories, and I love the cover too. It makes her look like she’s doing some real sleuthing. And that guy is really angry, I just love it!
- The Ghost of Blackwood Hall – Two thing make this great, it has George and Bess and Nancy all on the cover and then just the eerie feel of the picture. It makes me want to go find it and read it again right now.
- The Haunted Bridge – Can’t you just feel the danger and tension? I love it. But somehow that look in Nancy’s eyes you just know she’s going to figure this out.
- The Hidden Window Mystery – I <3 peacocks! Really I do, I have a huge Pinterest board full of peacock love, and a jewelry box bursting with all sorts of peacock loveliness. And here is one distracting Nancy so somebody can sneak by. How could I not love it?
- The Clue Of The Whistling Bagpipes – Nancy in a kilt playing the bagpipes! Do I need to say more?
- The Hidden Staircase – These new 2014 covers by Sabrina Gabrielli are beautiful. My favorite is this one on the Hidden Staircase. While they don’t really have the same feel as the old ones it is nice to see a fresh take on the Girl Detective.
- Mystery Of Crocodile Island – Is Nancy going to stab that croc with her knife? That’s the first thought that came to me when I looked at this cover. I just love how it draws you into the action.
- The Secret Of The Forgotten City – Nancy looks so worried here. YOu have to wonder what’s going on. Plus I’m a nut for Monochromatic art. The colors here are just beautiful.
So which is you favorite? Did you enjoy Nancy Drew (or the Hardy Boys) when you were younger? Let me know in the comments.