August 21, 2018: Books to Pull You Out of a Reading Slump
Argh! We’ve all been there, in a reading slump. I’ve talked before about how Robinson Crusoe did me in one year and how a Tom Clancy book pulled me out of it. Below are other books that helped pull me out of reading slumps.
5 Books That Pulled Me Out of Reading Slumps:
- The Bear and the Dragon – This is the book I mentioned above, that pulled me out of the post-Crusoe slump. Tom Clancy is always a pretty easy read, so it’s a no brainier that even at a whopping 1137 pages it could pull you out of a slump. (Side note: In my freshman year of high school I got bumped from gifted English to regular English cause the class was too full and I was the last one to test in, due to illness. So totally not my fault, but here I am in regular English one day I’m reading a Tom Clancy book in class and the teacher takes it away. He told me, “You can’t read anything in this class that I can’t understand.” Seriously… the teacher said that… about a Tom Clancy book.)
- Moon White: Color Me Enchanted – Sometimes the reading slump is just falling into a series of Okay books. Sometimes just one book after another failing to inspire you. 2012 was that kind of year for me (both before and after Moon White.) I felt a special kind of connection with this book. My story isn’t the same as the stories main character, but I understood her journey very well.
- Holes – Holes was a refreshing breath of fresh air in between reading for a tough term in college. I absolutely love Holes and think that everyone should read it middle grades on up. It’s a sweet story of redemption. After all the reading I did for Philosophy class Holes was able to stand up on it’s own with some very profound thoughts about life.
- Taliesin or almost anything by Stephen R. Lawhead – Because he is my very favorite author. Reading his books is like coming home.
- Dumbheart: A Get Fuzzy Collection – Sometimes your in a slump and you just need to change up the kind of book you’re reading. Nothing quite like turning to your favorite comic strip for some good laughs to cleanse the soul before moving on to other books. This one happened to be a Christmas present and was the first book I actually finished in 2014. 😂
A Book to Pull Me Out of the Next Slump:
- Lady of Sherwood (Outlaws of Sherwood Book 1) – I’m saving this one for a special read through. One when I really need to book to sit back and enjoy. This Young Adult retelling of the Robin Hood myth sounds like just the thing next time I’m in a reading slump.