Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010.
July 12: Ten Facts About Me (bookish or just general about you facts or ten facts about you as a blogger…whatever you want)
I decided to go with 10 bookish facts about me, since I don’t have a lot of personal stuff on here and recently there are a lot of new readers to my blog. Plus it’s possible that those who’ve known me for a long time don’t even know all of these facts. 😉
- By the 5th grade I was reading at the 8th grade level, by the 8th grade I was reading at college level.
- By the 5th grade I had read the entire Nancy Drew series, checking each book out at the library.
- Starting in the 8th grade I volunteered at our local library. I would ride my bike down to the library each week to help shelve books… for some reason my checkouts tripled during this time ;-).
- My favorite genres are fantasy and science fiction. Runners up would be young adult and dystopian.
- Despite #4, I’ve never been a fan of Harry Potter.
- I am a published poet.
- My favorite book of all time is Dream Thief by Stephen R Lawhead. (And according to GoodReads he is my most read author.)
- I serve on the board of the Albany Public Library and just this year became the assistant to the Albany Library Foundation.
- We have nearly all of our books cataloged in LibraryThing, and according to that list we have over 2,000 books in our house. (Also according to LibraryThing our book stack would be taller than the Taj Mahal and would fill 82.5 u-haul boxes or 5 bathtubs. Handy info to have if we ever move!)
- My favorite college course was an invite only Great Book course. The philosophy professor had to personally invite you to take the course. It was unlisted. (I have never heard of an unlisted course before.) We met at his house to discuss the books we read which included King Lear, Timaeus, The Autobiography of Charles Darwin, and The Brother Karamazov among others. It made 2010 a very heady year for reading.
Bonus Fact: My uncles played high school football and basketball against Rick Steber, one of my favorite Oregon authors. When I met him in person he still remembered the name LeQuieu as a force to be reckoned with on the playing field. (My dad is five years younger than his next oldest brother, or else he would have played against Steber too.)
Also, yes my real name is Arwen, my parents read the Lord of the Rings together when my mom was pregnant with me and picked my name out of those books. 😉 Leave a comment and let me know something bookish about you.