Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010.
June 28: Top Ten Most Frustrating Characters EVER
- Nicole from the Rama Series – Where to even start… after Rendezvous with Rama (which is an absolute classic) the series starts a down hill turn. Starting with Rama II the stories more-or-less follow the character arc of Nicole. By the end of the series I realized that it had been a total waste of time. A lot of this is because of the choices Nicole makes in Garden of Rama and the terrible way the series ends.
- Aunt Marie from Miramont’s Ghost – One of the most cruel characters I have ever met in a book. She and her son are the most despicable people ever. The vast difference between their public self-righteous exterior and their truly evil actions towards Adrienne and others just absolutely seals it.
- The Soviet Agents from The Gemini Effect – I thought they were totally unnecessary for the plot. And basically just silly. The story would have been better without them.
- Thomas Covenant – A main character so frustrating and inappropriate that he gives a new meaning to anti-hero, as in NOT A HERO. Covenant doesn’t want to be a hero, doesn’t want to be in the story and does things that are clearly wrong. This is a series I’m not planning on finishing.
- Modred from the Dark Tower – Build up, build up… let down. Seriously for all the build up in the previous books about this being like the worst demon child ever he ends up not being a big deal at all. I can’t say any more without spoilers.
- Stephen King from the Dark Tower – I have said it before, but I am not a fan of authors writing themselves into their stories.
- Esme Squalor from A Series of Unfortunate Events #6 The Ersatz Elevator – There are certainly a lot of bad characters in the Series of Unfortunate Events, but in my option, Esme Squalor is the worst of the worst.
- Pippi Longstocking – This is one character I’ve never really “got.” She’s not rambunctious and cute, she ornery and annoying. I have never liked Pippi.
- PK Dick from Radio Free Albemuth – Again a writer making himself a part of the sci-fi story he is telling.
- Ruby Rhod, The Fifth Element – Okay cheating here because this is a movie character, but the Fifth Element is such an awesome movie that gets spoiled every time Chris Tucker is on screen. I mean is there anyone who can watch this movie and think yeah I liked that character?